Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2011

So God Made A Farmer





This video was emailed to me by my mother (who grew up on a farm in Iowa), having received it from her brother (who is 'retired' on his ranch in Nevada). It's a slideshow of farmers in Canada set against one of radio broadcaster Paul Harvey's typical segments, "So God Made A Farmer." 

Paul Harvey was an American radio broadcaster for 50+ years. You might remember him for his "The Rest of the Story" program. 

I have a great love and respect for farmers. I always thought of my mom's parents as farmers, even though they'd moved to the suburbs of L.A. just before I was born. You can take people off of the farm, but you can't take the farm out of the people. It always felt like Marie and Papa's house was a farm house - like they just picked it up and moved it to California. My mom's apartment feels kind of like that, too. 

Justus & Marie Larson (Marie and Papa)
and my border collie Marrakesh.

I may not be a farmer, but next time around I'm not going to spend my entire life in a city, as much as I love L.A.  I think that even having grown up around 'farm people' has made me a more self sufficient, down to earth human being, and I'm grateful for that. 



1 comment:

  1. What a great post Kristin. Living in Wisconsin and with half my relatives either currently farmers or retired farmers, your post has brought back so many fond memories. Everything said by Paul Harvey is so true too. Neighbors helping neighbors whenever, wherever. They work hard for the money (I'm talking about the small family farmer now - not the big corporate farmer) and put in very long days. Just good, honest, hardworking people. Thank you for sharing it and thanks to your mom for sending it to you.

    ReplyDelete